- Remember you are speaking to individuals not an abstract group
- Be as relaxed as possible
- Be conversational and make a connection with the room
- Know your material
- Prepare, but don't rehearse
- Leave room for improvisation
You Suck at PowerPoints
Slide Presentation Tips
- Contrast colors for the background and text. Use dark backgrounds with light text or light backgrounds with dark text.
- For titles, use 44 pt. font. Do not use font size smaller than 28 pt. for text. The presentation must be seen from the back of the room.
- Arial and Verdana are two of the most readable fonts. Do not use more than three different types of fonts on one slide.
- Use no more than six bullet points and make phrases short for clarity. Too much text or use of graphics makes the slide too busy.
- Keep the slide transitions simple to avoid distraction.
- The use of graphics, clip art and charts make the presentation more interesting if presented in an aesthetically pleasing manner.
- Remember the audience wants to hear the content. Visual designs will enhance the presentation.
- Preview the slide show using a projector. Words or graphics may not appear completely because they are too close to the edge and do not project. To correct this, resize the fonts and graphics to a smaller size.